Tuesday 24 November 2009

Weekend in Nottingham


Despite complaining for heavy work load and "being busy all the time", we spend our precious weekend gathering in Nottingham. This time, the Londoners, me and Ai Woon visited Nottingham.

University of Nottingham is known among Malaysian for Nottingham games. However, though studying here as a Malaysian pansy for 2 years, this is my first time visiting Nottingham. As this is the very first time, we are always bombarded with lots of comments and reviews from people who went, or even from the Nottingham student themselves.

Wai Kit (once our Malaysian soc sports committee) said: " Aiya, Nottingham nothing much one la, just a big uni."
Ee William : " Nottingham is a place without chinatown"
Even Yiew Wen gave us a very rural impression for Nottingham.

So, you guys can picture Nottingham now can you ?
For me its something like :

Hmm... got trees, bushes, grass... Typical forest in the cold countries.


Ok ok... to be more realistic, our impression for Nottingham might be someplace like this

A little sandy path through nice countryside scenaries. Wow! look at the fallen leaves, the feeling is so right. You could imagine a scene in a korean drama, where Yiew Wen would run from the other end of the trees and greet us... running slowly.... as the wind blow the fallen maple leaves to your face.....


Right?

However, the day before I left, I told one of my coursemate about me going to Nottingham. The response was: " What?? You going Nottingham?? There has got nothing!! Just a University and buildings in the Uni !!"

Ok, that seriously spoilt the whole picture of Nottingham. In my mind, I thought I was going to --->


These explained the total shock as me and Ai Woon stepped out of the train station.

Let me rewind to 20 mins before we reached. As the train approached Beeston, a stop before Nottingham, they announced that passengers should go to the first few coach as the platform is not big enough to accommodate the whole train.
" Eh, should we move to the first few coach as well? Our next stop is Nottingham le ..."

Well, the real story now... Nottingham has got a city centre with trams and busses!! They even have an ice skating ring for winter, malls and loads of cabs!! This is a proper CITY ! Why didnt anyone at least tell me, Nottingham is a city, not an ulu place (rural area)?!

The first activity once we got down was mamak! Our mamak this time is not spicy, but its still 9.30 pm as usual! Yes at least its still at 9.30, in a pub. However we regret that not everyone could attend this session.

The mamaking session ends at 11.50pm a bit earlier than usual because the pub seem like closing. Oops, we almost forgot that we were in a very ulu uk city.

The next day, William made me a special omelette for breakfast which he said, inspired by Genting breakfast.


He too showed his talent by making us a delicious tiramisu. How delicious was it? I guess that could only be explained by Yiew Wen's blushing face straight after tasting the first bite.

 
The homemade tiramisu by William, if you hesitate, you wont even get a bite.


Bad rainy weather didnt stop us from visiting around.

'L' is for London! This is the university and the lake.



They like to call this the mancis building, but I heard munchy's all the time, which left me with a swt face.


Let me prove that Nottingham is a city

Can you see buildings? And wide pedestrian roads?


Cool contemporary architecture, come on, its so cool! This is named the sky mirror.


Though there is the oldest in in UK

And a castle...


Robinhood, the hero of Nottingham



Daylight is scarce for winter times... Soon, it was pitch dark and rainy at 5pm.

The next day, we were brought to a park which even prove the city status of Nottingham. Why do I say so? Normally, in really ulu (rural) place, there is no need to have parks, because its grassland everywhere. To have a park like this


for people to take a walk, this proves that people in the city needs a relaxing green area.

That afternoon, Yiew Wen and Tsi Ngar made us their ultimate homemade lasagne.

It earned 6 points from me and 7 points from William.

Next stop! Christmas in London anyone?

P/S: The night after I was back in London, I found out that it was so much more lively and bright here in the night. Even after midnight. So I take back my words.... Nottingham is indeed ulu ! If you would wanna feel like in a horror scene, go walk around in Nottingham after sunset.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

NIICEEEEE....
i wanna go!!!

DrTofu said...

heehhehe..come come. fly to east midlands airport, i'll pick u up from there. hahahaha.

Anonymous said...

I'd have thought the fact that Nottingham University has a campus in Malaysia would indicate that the place would be slightly larger than a grassy field...