Friday 15 January 2010

DeJaVu

Came back from the beautiful snowy mountains of Alpes and still waiting for the pictures.

Urgh.. Today I had it again, this feeling, and it started me pondering.
I am sure you had this feeling before: the sudden feeling of familiarity that this scene in your present time somehow seems to be occurred in the past. Sometimes you could even predict what the person is going to say, and you get goosebumps.

After all, I realised that those scenes were just in my memory, it didnt actually occurred in real life but it was in my dreams. It then brought me to the thought for a reason. When we sleep, although we lose consciousness, our brain is still working. Through billions of connections of neurons within the brain, it could generate unlimited amount of possibilities which sometimes we call dreams. But... most of the time we dont remember much of those dreams do we?

How many random scenes (dreams) do our brain generate every night? 10, 100, 1000 .. ? I actually believe that it is a huge number! What is then the probability that it actually coincides with real life? Statistically it is almost impossible. However, why do we still get it rather frequently? Is it the malfunction of the brain that it instantly links the present to the past memory? Or, do we believe our higher order cognitive ability in successfully predicting the most possible future out of infinite randomness....

Should I trust fate/destiny or agree with life is just pure random combination of events?


Cogito, ergo sum. I think, therefore I am. Think more my friend! But beware, genius and crazy is separated by a very thin line !

No comments: