Thursday 22 October 2009

Science and Art

All my final year friends are busy applying for their job lately....

The problem with our degree course is that it is not widely recognised or needed. Come on, who the hell knows what biomedical engineering is? If you do happen to be that one in a million, why on earth do you need to recruit us anyway, we dont make money.

Yes, we face this fact, and accept that this is what we are. When things come into your 3rd year or final year, you get really materialistic and realistic. Don't give me bullshit like "Oh, I like my course, I am so enthusiastic about learning how protein is synthesised in the cell..." bla bla ... It is now all money first! To be fair, people like us now are pups going into the wild, finally set free, we'll need to hunt for food (money).

If you think this guy here


is your daddy, fine dream on !

People like us will get hungry very soon, and our degree is not a solution. All my coursemates are therefore joining what we call the "dark side". The finance and business sector. Yay!!

That is what a biomedical engineering/engineering degree brings you:
- First, there is no fuckin' firm that want to employ people in this discipline
- If you somehow, managed to get into a research team say Imperial college for example, you will do something like making a cost free but efficient prosthetic for really poor people. (ethical!)
- Or, get a normal engineering job in Malaysia, work for whole life also cannot repay the cost of studying spent.

Finance and business sector brings you:
- More chicks 
- Alot of job opportunites from all around the world.
- High paid job
- A huge variety of majors and discipline
- At least when you go to Merrill Lynch and say, hey I do a BioEng degree, they will say ok send in your CV. Unlike when you go to Siemans, they would say, I am not sure about that, check our website....


That is why I choose to do 2 business modules this year.
The first one is entrepreneurship.




I liked it so much, because the first lecture slide of the course is this


Yes!!! straight to the point. How to turn idea into money....Woo

And I think business people think better than science people. A diagram of a business module might look like this

But a diagram for a analogue circuit and systems module look like?




The first one is so easy to understand as long as you know english. The latter, dont ask me, I dont know what the f*ck it is also.



So I tried to convert the diagram into a simpler art format with paint, and this is what I got.


Understandable ?

Come my friends, lets join the Dark Side!

No comments: