Monday 26 October 2009

Walking on the streets....

As I mentioned before, this year I spend about 1 hour 30mins walking on the streets everyday.

If I would have do that in Malaysia there will only be a few consequences:
- I get a skin cancer resulting from intense sunburn
- I got robbed
- I got killed because I tried to fight with robbers.
- I got killed because some snatch thieves kill you before you try to fight.
Trivial right? Because, nobody actually does that. Even if someone does it, he dont live to tell.

So far, I encountered some incidents while walking on the streets on London. Some quite dodgy but I must say there are really interesting to share.

First you might think London is a really safe place to be in. Occasionally you still get muggers on the streets, less violence than those in Malaysia, but they would still beat you up if you rebel.

Its rare to met up with those muggers because they only appear in the night. Unlike Malaysia, everything is 24 hours like mamak, convenient stores and robbers, they all work hard for a living.

What I met on the streets are professional beggers. They dress well and they dont sit on the floor with a cup. They come up to you with interesting pick up line like:
" Hey, you look good today, can you please give me some money to get a cool hair cut just like you? "
Ok, that was just a joke, they dont say that.

But I got some lines like:
" Hey mate, I need to get a hostel tonight but I am lacking a pound, could you just please spare me a pound for the night?"
Brian paid for this. But LOL, the next day the man came to us with the same line again.

" Hey, I just got lock out my house accidently with my phones inside. Could you please spare me 50p for a phone call?"


"Hey, could you just give me 20p please? I dont need much, I just want 20p" 

So far, I have only given the 20p because that guy seems older and its a reasonable amount. I got even teenagers trying to get money from me.

Then there was this car incident.  Last Tuesday while I was walking to play futsal, a guy rolled down his window of his car...
" Excuse me, are you Japanese?"
"No, I am Malaysian."
"Oh, hi there, I am Italian. I worked for Harrods, do you know Harrods?"
"Yes...." (thinking that he would ask for directions)
"I am going back to Italy, and I am driving to Heathrow now. I got a few jacket from Giorgio Armani. I need to give them out for free because my luggage is too heavy. "
"What size do you wear?"
"Er... M "
Then a horn of a car behind him.
Suddenly, I got this "survival in Malaysia" instinct that we run from scenario like this instantly.
"Errm I am actually rushing for some events.. See ya!"


Funnily enough when I was sharing this incident in my friends birthday dinner later on that night, I found that my housemate encounter the same thing that very same day when he was on the bike. Then, one of our HK friend say he even went onto his car!

So, our conclusion for the night was, lets start our thai boxing class next wednesday!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol..brian..

and lol..Giorgio Armani..is that Micheal? Then wat happened to him after he got into his car?

DrTofu said...

walao...your area more ppl than mine...but more dodgy than mine...hahaha. is there drug in his car?

vY said...

Its not michael. Some other friend of mine.

There is no drug, the person is asking a few hundred pounds from him, but he actually went on the car, which fetched him to the bank. The person said he will return 10k or 20k. lol

DrTofu said...

lol man...he's daring eh...getting onto ppl's car. later kidnap baru tau